Sunday, April 6, 2014

Memorable Humans

I've often been asked, what famous people have I met?  Well, thanks to my husband, I have been to quite a few conventions where assorted famous personages have been in attendance.  I'd estimate I've met over 100 famous personalities in the last 10 years (not including Disney characters).  So who are my favorites?  Who was I excited to meet the most???  Here is my top 10 ...

10.  Kristin Bauer

Kristin is perhaps best known for her role as vampire Pam in the HBO series True Blood.  I was fortunate enough to meet Kristin in October 2011.  She is truly sweet, most gracious and so unlike her character Pam (excuse how huge I look in this photo ....ewwwwww)



9.  Steven Adler & Joey Belladonna

Spooky Empire's Ultimate Horror weekend in October and Spooky Empire's Mayhem weekend in May are two conventions we try not to miss each year.  The promoters of these two conventions have brought in some awesome musicians over the past few years.  One of those is Steven Adler of Guns N' Roses fame.


Another was Joey Belladonna of Anthrax.  Joey sticks in my mind as we were at the Spooky Empire VIP Party in October 2009, listening to the guests singing very bad karaoke ;) ... all of a sudden, someone starting singing Journey's Don't Stop Believing - that someone was not like the others... that someone could actually sing ... that person was Joey Belladonna.  Talk about an awesome surprise!  One of the guests actually got the performance on video (linked below - sorry it's a bit dark, but it's still awesome) =)



8.  Jason Lively

Jason Lively is undoubtedly best known for his role as Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's European Vacation but he was also in another 80's movie - Night of the Creeps.  My hubby and I met him and his Night of the Creeps co-star Jill Whitlow in October 2009.



7.  Alex Winter

Alex Winter is probably best known for his role in the Bill & Ted movies, however, I first remember seeing him in another of my favorite 80's movies - The Lost Boys.  I was at a convention in May 2011 when I witnessed something wonderful.  Brooke McCarter, who played Paul in the Lost Boys (the vampire who died when he was pushed into a bathtub full of water & garlic) got to chat with Alex for the first time in 25 years =)



6.  Cassandra Peterson 

Most of you know Cassandra by her stage name ... Elvira ... yes that Elvira =)  I've met Cassandra a number of times now - both in and out of make-up and I must say, I hope I look as good as her when I'm her age (she'll be 63 this year).  The first time I met Cassandra she was in full Elvira mode and the line up for her autograph was a mile long.  That weekend at that same convention we had just about walked by her table but stopped to look because there appeared to be someone else sitting at the table ... to our surprise it was Cassandra out of make-up with no line whatsoever =)  I must say it's amazing to see her with and without her make-up - such a transformation!



5.  Anthony Michael Hall

If you are like most of us who grew up in the 80's you can quote lines from Sixteen Candles (“Last night at the dance my little brother paid a buck to see your underwear”), your iPod playlist includes more than one song by the Psychedelic Furs and Simple Minds, you watch The Breakfast Club every time it comes on tv, and you still wish that Andie had ended up with Duckie in Pretty in Pink ... you’re a bonafide Brat Pack devotee—and you’re not alone.

In May 2011 I had the pleasure of meeting "Farmer Ted" - "the Geek" - Anthony Michael Hall.  Michael (his real name is Michael Anthony Hall but there was already a Michael Hall in the Screen Actors Guild) is a super awesome guy and we enjoyed spending time with him outside of convention hours at the hotel pool bar - he even did some magic tricks for us  =) ... just in case you didn't know, Michael also played "Rusty Griswold" in National Lampoon's Vacation, so I have now met two Rustys ;)



4.  Daniel Roebuck

Danny is one of those people where you know the face but maybe not the name.  He has been in everything from Star Trek: The Next Generation, to Nash Bridges, and Boston Legal to Glee.  It's rare that you can turn on the tv and don't see Danny on any of the shows.  Danny is probably best known for his role of Cliff Lewis, alongside the great Andy Griffith, in the late 80's/early 90's tv show Matlock.  Danny has also been on The Walking Dead and my favorite, Lost.  I'm proud to say my hubby is executive producer on Danny's "Dr. Shocker's Vault of Horror" documentary.



3.  Carroll Spinney

Now most of you probably won't know the name, but I can guarantee you know the voice and the face - well the costumed face anyway =)  I had accompanied my hubby to a convention in Burbank, CA in April 2012 and was so very excited to see that there was a familiar "face" there that I just had to meet.  Like most kids, I grew up watching Sesame Street every day and it was surreal meeting Carroll, who as I walked up to his table, was speaking to a young fan in his Big Bird voice.  It was like I was a kid again.  When it was my turn to speak with Carroll, I mentioned I had just recently seen a behind the scenes picture of him in his Big Bird feet, puppeting Oscar.  Surprisingly Carroll had never seen that picture and asked me if I had a copy he could see (I did) and pulled out my tablet to show him.  I ended up giving him a copy of the picture and in return I received a hand drawn Oscar sketch from Carroll that I cherish!



2.  Robert Englund

Yep Freddy Krueger himself ... interestingly enough when I met Robert, he asked where I was from.  When I mentioned my home town he smiled and proceeded to tell me the story of when he was first starting out in acting and performed Shakespeare in my home town =)



1.   John Astin

I grew up watching the Addams Family, and it remains one of my most favorite shows of all time to this day, so I was ecstatic when I had the chance to meet John in May 2012.  He may have a bit less hair and be more grandfatherly these days, but he's still the same Gomez Addams I grew up watching on tv!!



So who are some memorable humans you have met or would like to meet???


No comments:

Post a Comment