Saturday, April 20, 2013

Back on the Bandwagon - Part 1


Some of you may know about my weight loss journey.  For those that don't here's the story ...  I've found that as I have been getting older, I'm truly having a much tougher time losing weight. So in October 2012 I resolved to begin changing by my body image.

This is probably a good time to mention that I'm 5'3" and when I decided that I would seriously try to lose some weight, I weighed 155 lbs - not really a big deal but I knew I needed to lose a few pounds. Plus I was hating the way my tummy and thighs looked ... YUCK!

Anyone who knows me, knows I love my Coke and it wasn't uncommon for me to drink 3-4 cans of Coke a day if not more. So, the first thing I did was cut out any pop/soda from my diet, and I admit, this first step was hard. I was determined and as I struggled I replaced my daily Coke habit with green tea.

For Christmas 2011 my hubby bought me a Keurig coffee maker ... which is funny because I don't drink coffee. But one good thing about the Keurig is you can buy a reusable filter basket that allows you to make your own K-cups with whatever you want. Since the Keurig is so fast at brewing, I can have my green tea (either warm or iced) in less than 1 minute. Awesome!!! That's one thing I always hated about having to use a kettle for tea - took too damn long to boil the water. The Keurig was a perfect solution!!

About a month after cutting out Coke and replacing it with green tea, I decided to weigh myself ... and to my surprise I had lost 15 pounds ... Wow!! Now I really didn't think I looked much different, but in mid-May 2012 we headed down to Orlando for our annual May getaway and friends that had just seen us in October asked if I had lost weight. Awesome!!!!

Heading home from our vacation, I wasn't sure what to expect when I stepped on the scale. We do like to eat well and tend to enjoy a few adult beverages when we are on vacation, and this trip was no exception, however, one thing I did not do was drink any pop/soda whatsoever during our trip (that was truly a test of my willpower by the way). Once again I was surprised ... I had not gained any weight at all ... now, I didn't lose any weight either, but I didn't gain any so it was totally a win in my books!!

Since that time, I have been actively trying to lose the last 15 lbs by exercising more regularly (usually walking a couple times of week) and continued with my green tea.   Unfortunately I'm finding that I seem to be craving junk food later in the evening - which is really something I need to curb.  It's definitely not helping my weight loss.


Then came Winter and our walks stopped (no I'm not walking when it's -40 below) and then the Holiday season and unfortunately, mostly due to laziness on my part and my junk food cravings, I've put back on 5 pounds.  UGH!!

It's now Spring again ... warm enough to start our walks again ... and I'm more determined than ever to lose those 20 pounds.




No comments:

Post a Comment