Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Let's Do This!

I admit, over the past couple of years I've been in an on again, off again relationship with losing weight. Unfortunately I've found that as I have been getting older, I am truly having a much tougher time losing weight.

This is probably a good time to mention that I'm 5'3" and when I decided that I would seriously try to lose some weight, I weighed 155 lbs - not really a big deal but I knew I needed to lose a few pounds.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love my Coke/Pepsi and it wasn't uncommon for me to drink 3-4 cans of pop/soda day if not more. So, a year or so ago, the first thing I did was cut out any pop/soda from my diet, and I admit, this first step was hard ... very hard.  However, I was determined and as I struggled I replaced my daily Coke habit with green tea.

My beloved Keurig!
Thankfully my hubby bought me a Keurig coffee maker ... which is funny because I don't drink coffee. But one good thing about the Keurig is you can buy a reusable filter basket that allows you to make your own K-cups with whatever you want. Since the Keurig is so fast at brewing, I can have my green tea (either warm or iced) in less than 1 minute. Awesome!!! That's one thing I always hated about having to use a kettle for tea - took too darn long to boil the water. The Keurig was a perfect solution!!

About a month or so after cutting out Coke and replacing it with green tea, I decided to weigh myself ... and to my surprise I had lost 15 pounds ... Wow!! Now I really didn't think I looked much different, but in mid-May we headed down to Orlando for our annual
May getaway and friends that had just seen us in October asked
if I had lost weight. Awesome!!!!

Heading home from our vacation, I wasn't sure what to expect when I stepped on the scale. We do like to eat well and tend to enjoy a few adult beverages when we are on vacation, and this trip was no exception, however, one thing I did not do was drink any pop/soda whatsoever during our trip (that was truly a test of my willpower by the way). Once again I was surprised ... I had not gained any weight at all ... now, I didn't lose any weight either, but I didn't gain any so it was totally a win in my books!!
Awesome Infuser

Since that time, I have been actively trying to lose the last 15 lbs by exercising more regularly (usually walking a couple times of week) and continued with my green tea.  Most recently I purchased a $10 fruit infuser pitcher at Wal-Mart and have been enjoying some nice cold flavored water throughout the day.  This is huge for me as I haven't been known to drink a lot of water during the day.

Unfortunately I'm finding that I still seem to be craving junk food later in the evening - which is really something I need to curb. It's definitely not helping my weight loss.

Now that Spring has arrived, I know getting out for our daily walks will help.  I also ordered the 21 Day Fix plan from Beachbody.  I had heard so many good things about this plan. Basically here's no counting, no guessing, and no wondering. Just easy-to-follow portion control and one 30-minute workout per day. That's all. You commit to it, and you can lose up to 15 pounds in just 21 days.

There are seven color-coded containers and a Shakeology shaker with a meal plan that you follow - so you never eat too much or too little. Fill them up with as much food as you want—if it fits, you can eat it! Plus I can continue to use my Shakeology on this plan which is something that I don't want to give up (I've been using the vegan Tropical Strawberry Shakeology for over 2 years now).
21 Day Fix kit
OK, seems simple enough, so why am I hesitant to get started on it???  Basically I like food ... I like food A LOT =)

I should also mention that we are taking a trip to Jamaica at the end of next month, and I want NEED to lose those last 15-20 lbs.  I went bathing suit shopping the other day and it was not a pleasant experience to say the least - so let's say that was the motivation I needed.

So ... Let's do this!!!  Wish me luck!!  I'll keep you posted :)



2 comments: