Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Product Comparison: Jamberry Nails vs. You Nailed It

Over the past few weeks we've been seeing ads all over Facebook for a new nail wrap business - You Nailed It.  Of course, as an Independent Jamberry Nails consultant my customers are very curious as to how competitor products stack up against Jamberry nail wraps, so decided I would do a comparison. This is strictly a comparison of two similar products.

According to the You Nailed It website, the wraps do not need any heat to apply (Jamberry wraps do require heat for a good bond to the nail) and, like Jamberry nail wraps, they last up to 2 weeks.  The price for the You Nailed It wraps vary anywhere between $10-$15 US depending on the design.  The selection of designs is not as extensive as Jamberry, with a lot of the designs being marketed to the "nerd" crowd.

I purchased a sheet of wraps from the You Nailed It website on August 2nd with my order total being $17.99 USD ($12 for the wraps and $5.99 for shipping).   On August 4th, I received an email that my wraps had been shipped - although no tracking info was provided.

I received the wraps today - August 12th. They were shipped from Florida to Canada - the cost of the actual shipping was $1.15.

Upon opening the envelope, the first thing I noticed was there were no instructions included.  The packaging of the wraps is just a clear cellophane sleeve.  There are 20 wraps of various sizes on a white sheet.


The only thing included in the envelope was the shipping invoice ... no application instructions ... no indication of what company the wraps were from on the packaging ...



Of course I had to compare them to the Jamberry nail wrap sheet, and the first thing I noticed is that each wrap is about 3/4 of the size of a Jamberry wrap


There are more wraps per sheet included on the You Nailed It sheet (20 vs 18), however, seeing that they are smaller than the Jamberry wraps, you aren't getting any more product with You Nailed It.


To properly do a comparison, I decided to do my manicure using both the Jamberry and You Nailed It Wraps.  After applying my Jamberry wraps according to the official Jamberry Nails Instructions, I chose a wrap from the You Nailed It sheet to fit my ring finger on both hands as an accent nail.   The You Nailed It wraps come with a clear sheet covering the top of the wraps, which in my opinion is unnecessary.


As there were no applications instructions included, I ended up going to the You Nailed It website to find the correct way to apply the wraps.
I proceeded to try and find the wrap that best fit my nail, however, this proved to be a bit difficult due to the white backing.  I ended up having to use the Jamberry Nail wrap size I usually use for that finger as a guide to which wrap would be the best fit.

Next problem I encountered was that it was extremely hard to find the edge of the You Nailed It wrap to remove it from the backing.  I ended up having to use an exacto knife to find the edge.


When removing the wrap from the backing, I noticed is that the wraps are very flimsy and thin.


I proceeded to apply the wrap to my nail.  My first attempt at placement was a bit off, so when I lifted the wrap, it detached very easily - almost too easy.  Once the placement was OK, I smoothed the wrap to my nail using my thumb pressing from cuticle to edge.  To make sure all wrinkles and bubbles were out of the wrap, I pulled gently on the edge of the wrap and to my surprise, about 1/2 of the excess came detached - which shows how thin the wraps actually are.


As per the instructions, I took the nail file and filed the remaining excess - which took no time at all and reminded me of how easily the Sally Hansen wraps are to file.

The instructions say that for a longer lasting manicure, to follow with an application of clear polish.  I chose not to do this to truly see how long they last compared to Jamberry (Jamberry nail wraps do not require a top coat to prolong the wear).

This is the finished manicure.  In this picture you can see a thin white line around the outside of the You Nailed It wrap on my ring finger - this is how the wrap came off the backing sheet.



Following is usage of each of the wraps used in this manicure.  With the You Nailed It wraps, you need one wrap for each finger instead of being able to use one wrap for 2 fingers with Jamberry.



The longest I've worn my Jamberry wraps is 16 days with  some tip wear and nail growth at the cuticle. I admit, I am very hard on my nails, so am looking forward to seeing how the You Nailed It wraps hold up against Jamberry.  Will keep you all posted.

Oh I should mention - the You Nailed It wraps are made in China.  Jamberry are made in the US.

TTFN,
Bonny


UPDATE:  Well, just over 6 hours since I applied the wraps and I can already see the You Nailed It wraps are not fairing well.  After doing the dishes and cleaning the bathrooms early this evening, the two nails with the You Nailed it wraps are already chipping and coming off - they are actually wrinkling right on my nails.  I doubt they will still be on by morning



FURTHER UPDATE:   After my shower this morning, sadly, both You Nailed It wraps had completely fallen off my nails


2 comments:

  1. Fellow Jamberry Consultant here and I wanted to thank you for this post! I was looking for comparisons of the two and found you! May I share this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a Jamberry Consultant, and I love the comparison post. I was wondering how they would last with not using heat. They would totally not last my job then. I use my hands a lot and don't want to lose a nail inside a box that is going to a customer. Would I be able to share this on my Facebook?

    ReplyDelete